Cello can appear within so many genres of music and forms the backbone of an orchestra. The cello has become extremely popular in recent years and is a beautiful sounding instrument. Every cello we hire has been carefully selected for its build & sound quality.
Most cellos have a spruce top and a maple back, side and neck. Sometimes poplar and willow are used but not very often. The quality of these woods, combined with the builders who make them form either a good or bad cello. Years of experience has shown us that a good cello makes a good cellist!
We stock a range of cellos, including Stentor, Chinese built and European made instruments.
What makes our Cellos Different?
We don’t just hire any instrument, we want to encourage the player to learn and enjoy, so we take a good quality cello and then:
- Adjust the height of the bridge and nut. (Too high and the strings are hard to press down. Too low and they buzz on the fingerboard)
- Check the curve of the bridge. (Too shallow and you play 2 strings at once, too high and you catch the wood at the edge.)
- Check the fit of the pegs. (Too loose and the instrument won’t stay in tune. Too tight and it’s very difficult to tune!)
- Check the fit and position of the sound post. (Too tight and it can crack the cello. Too loose and it will keep falling down. The sound is stifled if it is positioned incorrectly.)
- Fit high quality strings for increased sound quality. (RRP £65.00-142.00)
- Fit a quality tailpiece (Wittner) with integral adjusters for ease of tuning. (RRP £25.00 – 35.00)
Kate Angell –
Excellent service. Website very easy to use and quick delivery!
Hae Jin Lee –
I really like the service you guys provide. It was quite easy as I was able to consult someone on the phone every time when I have a question. I already recomended you to my friend Thank you for the good service
Julia Trapp –
Fantastic service! I could want for nothing more. The team are reliable, efficient, personable and react very quickly to requests. Brilliant. If you are looking to hire an instrument, look no further, you will be delighted.
Sarah Smith –
Great service – the owners really care about the instruments they are renting to their customers and kept us well informed through the whole process. Two children cellos rented and they are good sounding instruments. Many thanks indeed.