Quality Chinese made cellos
We offer two levels of full-size cello to hire. Our Chinese instruments (mostly Stentor II) are quality Chinese instruments that are great for anyone starting out. They are professionally set up and come fitted with D’Addario Prelude Strings (RRP £79.00).
Quality European made cellos
Our European cellos have a warmer, deeper tone allowing more expression when playing. They are professionally set up and come fitted with D’Addario Pro-Arte strings (RRP £142)
The instrument can appear within so many genres of music and forms the backbone of an orchestra. The cello has become extremely popular in recent years and is a beautiful sounding instrument. Every cello comes from trusted sources and we do not have any cheap instruments within the hire scheme.
Most cellos have a spruce top and a maple back, side and neck. Sometimes poplar and willow are used but not very often. The quality of these woods, combined with the builders who make them form either a good or bad cello. We carefully select where our hire cellos are sourced and years of experience has shown us that a good cellos makes a good cellist!
What makes our Cellos Different?
We don’t just rent any instrument, we want to encourage the player to learn and enjoy, so we take a good quality instrument and then:
- Adjust the height of the bridge and nut. (Too high and the strings are hard to press down. Too low and they buzz on the fingerboard)
- Check the curve of the bridge. (Too shallow and you play 2 strings at once, too high and you catch the wood at the edge.)
- Check the fit of the pegs. (Too loose and the instrument won’t stay in tune. Too tight and it’s very difficult to tune!)
- Check the fit and position of the soundpost. (Too tight and it can crack the violin. Too loose and it will keep falling down. The sound is stifled if it is positioned incorrectly.)
- Fit high quality strings for increased sound quality. (RRP 27.00-75.00)
- Fit a quality tailpiece with integral adjusters for ease of tuning. (RRP 16.00-25.00)